The combination of paintings and texts or messages is something, which can be seen in the art world frequently: René Magritte, Joseph Beuys, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Mario Dalpra or Franz West use that technique to express their “inner world” and transport messages to the observer of their work.
I follow up that topic (“autographs are art”) in my blog with the topic of ARTURES which were invented by the turkish artist YÜKSEL ARSLAN. ARTURES is an expression which combines “ART” and “peintURES” ore “litterartURES”.
In 1964, Arslan’s “artures” were included in the exhibition entitled “The Origins, History and Relationships of Surrealism” organized by the Galerie Charpentier, and viewed today as one of the most important exhibitions of the history of Surrealism.
Yüksel Arslan lives since 1962 in Paris and had long lasting contacts to the known surrealists at that time – In 1964, Arslan’s “artures” were included in the exhibition entitled “The Origins, History and Relationships of Surrealism” organized by the Galerie Charpentier, and viewed today as one of the most important exhibitions of the history of Surrealism ( see as well http://www.galerinev.com/en/sanatcilar/detay/33/yuksel-arslan )
He became internationally known during the last years. After his exhibition at SENTRALISTANBUL in 2009, his works were shown in Vienna, Zurich and Düsseldorf. (see https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yüksel_Arslan)
I am happy to show very early testimonials of Yüksel Arslan from the 1965 at the point he still lives in Berlin and moves to Paris and prepares the exhibition at the gallery Sydow in Frankfurt.
He was born on january 3rd 1925 in Carrara, Italy.
Together with the german artist Werner Schreib (1925-1969), he is one of the founders of the so called “Semantic Painting”. He started with painting in 1956 as autodidact and publicized his “Manifest of Semantic Painting” in London in 1957. Lattanzi held his first solo exhibition in the New Vision Centre Gallery in London. (source Catalogue Galerie Sydow, Frankfurt, 1964).
In the catalogue “information 61”, (editor: das fester, Galerie für zeitgenössische Kunst, dr. h.appel) there are some question put up and answered:
- What is the semantic image? “It is a creation in painting, drawing or sculpture which grows automatically out of itself, as the result of organization of the basic gestures.
- From where does the basic gesture come? “the idea of a basic gesture came from the observation of instinctive motions in the artistic process with precise reference to Action Painting (…)
- What is the basic gesture? “It is a rational movement which expresses itself by a definitive shape, e.g. horizontal line, vertical line, zig-zag, spiral ,(…)”
- How basic gestures are organized? “Through their variation, addition, multiplication and integration”
- Why does the semantic image develop automatically from itself? “Because one cannot preconceive the total result, since the creative conscience controls only that part of the work of art which is under elaboration at the moment in execution”
- What inspires the creative conscience? The unconscious memory of the past and the intuition of a mechanized future”
This catalogue from the gallery Sydow bears the number 4 out of a total edition of 33 copies with ORIGINAL, SIGNED, DATED INK DRAWING (the trade edition is 3000 copies).
(copyright: Luciano Lattanzi)
short biography: http://www.qartitalia.it/artisti/luciano-lattanzi/en-index.html
about W. Schreib & Lattanzi: http://www.reinhard-doehl.de/lattanzi_schreib.htm
about W. Schreib (& Lattanzi): http://www.ghidelli.net/art/schreib/schreib%20index.html